Saturday, June 26, 2010

From a foreign computer

I know many of you reading this may not be fans of Macs, but let me tell you a few things:

  • The computer (HP) I'm writing this from seems fairly new and already has an issue with the spacebar. I have to make sure to jam it down so that it actually produces a space.
  • Another PC laptop in our apartment is about a year and a half old, and the mouse button doesn't work very well. Actually, it works almost too well, and you have to make sure you're no where near it so you don't actually click stuff you didn't mean to. (It's not a feature of the computer, it's broken.)
  • The track pad on this computer is super small. It takes like 3 swipes across it to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other. I know this is something that can be changed in preferences, so why isn't it??
  • I've never even gotten close to getting a virus. I was working on a PC at Leadgenix doing some SEO stuff, and the computer I was on had a quite annoying virus. It was far from the first time I've had to deal with a PC with a virus. 'Nuff said.
  • My roommate just told me not to use the volume keys cause it will freeze the computer for like 10 minutes, and that the fan is broken and that the processor might be dying. The computer is 1.5-2 years old.
  • The reason I'm writing from a foreign computer is most likely because my video card was faulty. In fact, NVidia, who makes the cards, told Apple they wouldn't be an issue in their computers, and then it was. So the problem most likely isn't a problem with the Apple computer, but with the video card. Apple actually pays for every video card replacement to be done because of this problem, and even reimburse all who already spent their own money to get it fixed.
I think people who hate Macs hate them because they think they're too trendy, or not professional enough, or overpriced. (They are definitely overpriced, I'll concede on that one). Then again maybe I won't concede to that, since I don't have to deal with the aforementioned problems. Ever. That's probably worth the extra money to me.

My frustrations with Macs:

To not be completely one sided, here's what I don't care for:
  • You can't NOT put the computer to sleep when you shut it. Silly. (Maybe there's something new, but not that I know of.)
  • Very few games. I just want to play Worms Armageddon, Apple! Oh well, I've lived without it so far.
Well that's about it. Not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment