Wednesday, September 15, 2010

No Regrets

"I would rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not." - Lucille Ball

"The only thing you live to regret are the risks you didn't take." - ?

I really wish I could remember who first told me about the concept of making decisions based on a "no regrets" principle.

It is a genius and terrifying idea. I'm going to try it.

Basic idea: make your more important decisions by asking yourself "will I regret it if I don't _______?" If you will, then DO IT! If you won't, then it doesn't matter either way, so you can stop worrying about it.

My life is plagued with bruises created from kicking myself for not doing or saying something I now wish I had, risks I wish I had taken, and rewards I know I sacrificed because I didn't.

I just have to think, "what do I really have to lose? Pride? Self-esteem?" The truth is the only thing I usually have to lose is an opportunity, and I have already lost too many of those.

"Looking back, I have this regret, that too often when I loved, I did not say so." - David Gayson


P.s. just for fun: another way I make decisions between two alternatives is to flip a coin and then gauge how I feel based on the outcome. If I'm disappointed, I know I really wanted the other outcome. Do any of you have other good methods of making decisions?

2 comments:

  1. So, I don't have any good suggestions for ya sorry. But I did want to say thanks for writing this, it's something I struggle with too and your ideas for how to choose etc. are great! I love the idea of flipping a coin and paying attention to how you feel. Genius. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for sharing your thoughts! No regrets, woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar to the flipping a coin idea, I just make a decision and then wait a while to see how I feel.

    I like this no regrets thing.
    It's a good way to be content with life.

    ReplyDelete