Sunday, June 21, 2009

Because we want to

Why would people ever go out of their way to help someone else? We don't really gain anything tangible. In fact, I'd say people lose more tangibles by helping other people than they gain. So why do people help each other, lift each other up, and support people other than themselves?

Did you know there are people out there who check discussion forums religiously simply to answer any questions that people ask about whatever the topic may be? They're not paid.

Why would non-business people put up all the recipes, guides, FAQs and how-to videos that they do? They already know it, so what if someone else doesn't?

Why do I enjoy making breakfast or dinner for other people? It just takes lots of time and costs me money!

Deep down I hope at my eulogy that "altruistic" is one of the three words my friends/family would use to describe me. And I hope I have a long life ahead of me to prepare for that, cause I have a long way to go.

4 comments:

  1. I consider random acts of kindness to be contagious. Me helping somebody in a small way may pave the way for them helping someone in a more important manner.

    I also consider karma. The more good I do, the more (I hope that) it returns to me. I'm one of those religious forum persons (car related, of course), and I totally see the karma-related aspect. No pun intended. But they help me, I help them, we all end up winners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, you have a blog! I'm not stalking you or anything, but I saw a comment from a Bobby Z on Laura's blog and I thought to myself...how many Bobby Zs could there possibly be? Anyway, I think your posts are very interesting and thought provoking, and your template rocks. May I add you to my blogroll?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you can! I had always seen you comment on Laura's blog, but I didn't know it was you. I thought it was some friend of Laura's named Katya. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete