Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I am self destructive

Why do I do some of the things I do? How come I wait for time-sensitive things until my opportunity has passed me by?

It's like when an opportunity comes to me, I subconsciously think "it'll be around for awhile, no need to rush into anything or hurry it up." Then, almost without fail, the chance goes away and I never see it again.

Just the other day I saw a job listing that I thought would be fun. It was only 10 hours/week and paid pretty well, but I didn't call until about 3 pm (when I saw the listing at 10 am). By that time they had already filled the position!

I talked to a lady in Provo that wanted some extra help with her yard work once a week for only 2 hours, paying $10/hour, and I even went and talked to her. Then I never called her back. What the heck is that?

It's not just work -- it's internship opportunities, it's projects I could be working on, it's my dating life, it's exercise, it's making good meals, it's getting up and doing something productive, and I'm sure I could keep listing other things that I wait too long for.

I've gotten much better than I have been in the past, but I'm still not where I need to be. I have done a good job writing things down and to-do listing, but it's not enough!

I won't do it anymore. No more. I'm done. From now on I'm capitalizing on every opportunity that comes my way (within reason).

5 comments:

  1. Alright, so I think when I added the new template to my blog, something got messed up and was stopping people from commenting. Now I have this ugly template, but comments are working. Fortunately I found a site that helps you get rid of the problem when you have a custom template, so that's what I'll be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, the pop-up setting works, but the embedded comments don't. Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent - your comments work.

    Which is good because...I'm the same way when it goes to making a phone call. I don't know why, but phonecalls make me nervous - always. So I'll postpone and postpone, and then miss out on something awesome.

    Good luck on overcoming it though. I should figure out a way to get more comfortable with the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel this way a lot, especially with college being broken up into semesters that seem to fly by. Spring term is almost over and I think, what have I been doing? Or like you say, look at all I haven't done. It's hard to stay focused and productive (even on doing fun productive things like visiting friends or going out and doing something) all the time. But there's no reason we shouldn't try. I think this is something that our generation has more of a problem with...mostly because of our time-wasting technology which is really quite remarkable, but can be misused quite easily. Those are my thoughts.

    I think this is a good dinner group conversation :]

    ReplyDelete