Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Peeing in the pool

So I had a friend the other day give the analogy that dating within your ward was like peeing in a pool. I didn't agree.

Then I was about to write a blog post about how I didn't agree, until another friend helped me realize just how bad it can be. I guess because I haven't experienced the negative stuff that can happen, I didn't really understand.

Now I'm writing a blog post with the conclusion that "peeing in the pool" is worth the risk, but with the purpose to spark a discussion and see what people think about it. Here are my thoughts (they are not very well formulated, and because I am inexperienced in this matter, they are subject to change. Leave comments letting me know what you think):

I remember having a conversation (I think it was with Ace, but may have been with Matt) about how so many girls (at the time) were saying they didn't want to give a relationship a chance because they were afraid of what would happen if it didn't work out.

We all know that high risk gives high returns, and modest risk gives modest returns. My question (and I guess my argument for why it is worth "peeing in the pool") is: when we are dating, are we looking for high returns or only modest returns?

Obviously we shouldn't only go on dates with people we feel we could marry. We should go on dates with people we think we could have fun with, and with the purpose of seeing if we could date the person more exclusively. Then we continue to date exclusively to see if we could get engaged. And we get engaged as a precursor to actual marriage. The steps are important, and one shouldn't be too focused on the end, but rather focused on the means.

But I've known too many people who dated and married someone in their ward to believe that it isn't worth giving people in your ward a chance simply because of what could happen if it didn't work out.

Sure there is a distinct possibility that one person will break up with the other, and it will cause awkward, crappy situations where you don't want to be around the person/try to avoid them, etc. That's something that comes with high risk.

But I would bet that most people who have had that happen to them have come out better in the end, with more experience and a better understanding of what they want in a spouse. It sucks in the meantime, but is beneficial in the long run.

I've spent way too much of my life avoiding risk. I can tell you from personal experience that modest risk has returned modest rewards. If you know of someone in your ward who you would date if only you knew for sure that it would work out, I say just go for it!


Take the risk. Because what people regret most in the long run is not having taken enough risks in life


(Just read the five points the writer of that last blog entry makes. They're worth the time.)

4 comments:

  1. "But I would bet that most people who have had that happen to them have come out better in the end, with more experience and a better understanding of what they want in a spouse. It sucks in the meantime, but is beneficial in the long run."

    I whole heartedly agree. And I speak from personal experience. My most serious, impacting relationships came from dating people in my ward. People think that the learning experience stops once they have broken up. No, no. There are still tons of lessons that CAN be learned in dealing with a break up within the ward. You learn to depend much more on answers YOU received, rather than the reactions of other people. You also learn how to break up "graciously" and kindly. You also learn that you can still love people, even if you're not dating anymore.

    Again, I agree completely: peeing in the pool IS worth the risk.

    *Even as I write this, I have to admit that over the past few months I've retreated to my formerly scared-stiff self: the girl who Doesn't EVER want to take risks in dating. But I like what you said about moderate risks bringing moderate returns.....very good point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. I think I've realized a lot more over the past couple years how much it helps to take risks in dating, to get over the elementary school fear of letting the other person know how you feel. (not necessarily verbally, but just finding a way to let them know).

    To pose a question, I understand how guys could take more risks by asking girls out even if they aren't sure that the girl likes them or they see potentially awkward situations, but how can women take more risks when it comes to dating without coming off as too forward?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Laura - Make it easy for guys to ask you out (be easy to talk to, etc), invite guys over for activities / events, go to things when guys invite you, suggest date ideas / express interest in things that are happening / talk about how you'd like to go (and you probably do some of these things already).

    @Bob - I think that high risk doesn't always equal high reward. Like, if there were no advantages to dating someone in your ward over someone out of your ward, then the higher risk of a more awkward post-breakup period wouldn't mean that the reward would be higher. However, if someone you're interested in dating is only in your ward, then yeah there's an advantage to dating someone in the ward that you wouldn't have if you only dated people out of the ward.
    Also, I think that dating people in the ward is easier (while dating / pre-dating) because there are a lot of natural times when you see each other where it's more casual, so it's easier to develop a strong friendship without people getting freaked out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Laura - Along with what Matt said (and what you and I have talked about), it takes a lot more than you think to come off as "too forward." Like talking to that boy in the library would definitely not have been too awkward or too forward at all. In fact he most likely wouldn't even interpret it as meaning anything other than a friendly "hi." So I guess conclusion is: in the process of breaking out of your shell/doing those things that Matt suggested, realize that those things aren't overly forward things to do.

    @Matt -I definitely agree. I guess the point I was trying to get across is not that dating in the ward necessarily gives higher returns than dating out of the ward, but that some people perceive dating in the ward as a great risk and therefore won't take the chance. But I think they should remember that greater risks are more likely to return greater rewards and so they should just go for it. Especially since it only leads to short-term discomfort.

    Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete