Wednesday, July 8, 2009

This time it was calculated

So I just got offered a job as a software tester for NextPage in Bluffdale. It pays $11/hour and has very flexible hours.

I turned it down. But this time my decision was calculated.

I have had a bad habit in the past of missing opportunities. This time I actually thought about my schedule and realized that taking this job in the Fall would mean I couldn't do anything in the Ad Lab. I would basically leave class to go to work, work for 4-5 hours, then come back. And I would be doing that for 4-5 days a week. Once I got home I would do all my homework, and then basically wind down for the night. Sounds like a good plan, right?

Except the Ad Lab has proven to be a great way to break into the advertising world for past students. If my primary objective is to get experience, then doing advertising for real clients is going to be better than testing software for NextPage. And the Ad Lab gets crazy busy in the Fall. (I'm actually somewhat looking forward to having it take over my life.) I honestly don't think I'd be able to do all that.

I told the guy that I would love to work for them for July and the bit of August that I'm in Utah, but that I think my schedule wouldn't allow me to work for him. By saying that, I realized I was putting the Ad Lab as a higher priority than work, which I'm alright with.

Anyway, I almost feel like I'm trying to justify myself, probably because I am. I still feel a little sick from turning down a good job, but a little comforted that I think my plans are starting to fall into place.

Now I just need to get crackin' on some Ad Lab stuff so that turning down the job is worth it. Motivation?

5 comments:

  1. Did you just read my blog post?? If you didn't we're thinking along the same lines right now. Or maybe my thinking is coloring my interpretation of everything I read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a little into AdLab, as I was considering advertising as a major. They do some good stuff - their portfolio is quite diverse and their clients professional.

    I'm sure being in AdLab alone will get you far. I think you made a wise decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I congratulate you on your decision to not be a software tester. I heard they can be really boring jobs. Plus, working at Bluff - anything is probably a hoax.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a tough decision, but if it makes you feel any better...I support your decision. If you're not dying for the money I think the AdLab is definately a better choice. Perhaps turning down a nice paying job is just the motivation you need to get yourself into gear, like you said. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete